Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Crock Pot Thai Peanut Chicken

Pardon my absence the last several days. We've had company in town and I've been galavanting around town with one of my besties -- it does good things for the soul to be in the company of a decade long friend who knows so much about you.

And this particular friend happens to be equally as passionate about food as me, so much of our time together has been spent cooking food, eating food or discussing food. Bliss.

This recipe has reached my TOP 20 FAV RECIPES! It was so, so good. Every time ML and I would walk past the kitchen we kept getting more and more excited for dinner as the aroma became stronger and stronger. The flavors were simply mouthwatering and you won't believe how easy this crock pot dinner was!

I really hope you try this one. Enjoy!

Print-friendly version


"Crock Pot Thai Peanut Chicken"






ingredients
    2 
medium onions, cut into thin wedges
    1 1/2
 cups sliced carrot (3 medium)
    1 
small red sweet pepper, cut into bite-size strips
    2 
pounds skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch pieces
    3/4
 cup chicken broth
    3 
tablespoons creamy peanut butter
    1/2 
teaspoon finely shredded lime peel
    2 
tablespoons lime juice
    2 
tablespoons soy sauce (substitute Liquid Braggs for GF cooking)
    2 
tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
    1 
tablespoon grated fresh ginger
    2 - 3 
teaspoons red curry paste
    4 
garlic cloves, minced
    1/2
 cup unsweetened coconut milk
    1 
cup frozen peas
    Hot cooked rice
    Chopped peanuts (optional)
    Snipped fresh cilantro (optional)

directions
1. In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker, place onions, carrot, and sweet pepper. Top with chicken. In a medium bowl, whisk together broth, peanut butter, lime peel, lime juice, soy sauce, tapioca, ginger, curry paste, and garlic until smooth. Pour over all in cooker.

2. Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours or on high-heat setting for 2-1/2 to 3 hours. Stir in coconut milk and peas. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.

3.Serve chicken mixture over hot cooked rice. If desired, sprinkle each serving with chopped peanuts and cilantro. 


Linked....

;Gluten-Free Wednesdays













19 comments:

  1. I just LOVE Thai food, and I have never seen an adaptation for the crock pot! Fun ! This will be on my menus this week, thank you for sharing!

    tessadomesticdiva.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted to let you know we enjoyed this last night! i especially enjoyed not scrambling at the last minute since all was done at leisure at naptime!! We added some lime leaves and fish sauce an I thickened with sweet rice flour instead of using the tapioca which I did not have on hand. Thank you! tessadomesticdiva.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found this on pinterest and plan on making it this week - any idea what the serving size ending up being?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! It actually makes quite a bit...maybe 8-10 servings?? I serve it over rice and it's a complete meal with all those veggies, chicken and sauce. Hope you enjoy! It's a family favorite here.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, I made this tonight!! Thanks for the recipe!

      Delete
  4. YUM! Have been searching for crock pot recipes. Saw this on Pinterest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought this dish was pretty good, however, it did seem like it was missing something that I couldn't put my finger on. I did use low sodium soy sauce and found myself adding salt later (i rarely add salt to anything). I also used the light coconut milk, which may have affected the flavor.
    I went right in the middle with red curry paste and use 2 1/2 tsp. I will make this again and maybe look into adding some additional thai flavors. Thanks for the easy recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can you use something besides tapioca, like quinoa?

    ReplyDelete
  7. So tapioca... does that mean tapioca pudding?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would like to make this for a dinner party. Some one noted that a little more "thai" flavor was needed. What would you suggest? Could you also add to the peanuts and cilantro, pineapple and shredded coconut?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't tell you how much we loved this dish. We are huge Thai fans and found this dish perfect. I did cook it on the stove top instead of a crockpot, and I think that helped to showcase each individual flavor. I posted the recipe with my changes on my blog. I hope you don't mind me using your photo- fully credited! http://doubledippedlife.com/2012/12/thai-food-at-its-finest.html Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. My husband cannot have cocunut milk. Is there another substitution you recommend? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait to try this recipe this week.
    Does anybody know what quick-cooking tapioca is and where would I find it?
    And what is red curry paste and where would I be able to find it?
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found red curry paste in the Asian food section of grocery stores. The brand I've used is Thai Kitchen - it's in a little 4 oz. jar.

      Delete
    2. You can substitute corn starch or flour for the tapioca - it's a thickener

      Delete
  12. Trying this recipe today! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great recipe! I made this for dinner tonight, and it was AMAZING! This is a keeper. Thanks for the recipe. I think bean sprouts would be a good addition to this too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks delicious! Have you tried doing this as a freezer meal? do you know what adjustments you would need to make?

    ReplyDelete
  15. how many servings does this make?

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a lovely comment!

Meet Amber

Meet Amber
I feel most "at home" sipping a cup of coffee, a paint brush in my hand, a kid on my hip, barefoot in the kitchen, knee deep in dirt on a farm, my toes in the sand, or buried in treasures at a thrift store. Thanks for stopping by my blog - I hope you leave inspired.

Facebook  Twitter  Pinterest  RSS Feed

Follow by Email

Loading...

Designed by

Munchkin Land Designs
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Designed by Munchkin Land Designs • Copyright 2011 • All Rights Reserved